A Look At The History Of Spalding County Georgia
The land which is now Spalding County was claimed in the 1540’s by Spaniards as part of Florida. Then, in 1629, England declared the land part of South Carolina. Not until 1764 was this area an official part of the colony called Georgia. Led by Chief McIntosh, the Creek Indians ceded all land between the Flint and Ocmulgee Rivers and north to the Chattahoochee River on January 8, 1821, in the First Treaty of Indian Springs.
Two years later, the treaty was declared invalid because of rumors of bribery and coercion. Chief McIntosh signed another treaty with the white man and was subsequently executed by a faction of the tribe opposed to giving away lands. Although no Creek settlements existed in Spalding, the familiar McIntosh Road was an important trail leading to Indian Springs, a meeting place for Indians. The Springs’ highly sulfured waters were thought to have healing powers.
After the treaty, five counties were created by the Georgia General Assembly: Monroe, Henry, Fayette, Houston and Dooly. The next year, Pike County was carved from Monroe and Henry. Not until December 20, 1851, was Spalding County founded. It was created from parts of Pike, Henry, and Fayette counties.
Add Business Listing
© 2021 Roger Bredow dba/Valuecom